Alexis L. MaysDirector
Alexis L. Mays is a director who practices commercial and construction litigation in Florida and Alabama. She concentrates in the areas of construction defect litigation and professional liability, assisting general contractors, subcontractors, professional engineers, real estate agents and brokers, appraisers, attorneys, and other individuals against claims brought against them. She also handles premises liability matters, real estate and commercial transactions, and pre-suit negotiations and investigations.
Alexis L. Mays is a Director at Emmanuel Sheppard & Condon who practices commercial and construction litigation in Florida and Alabama. She is Board Certified in Construction Law. She concentrates in the areas of construction defect litigation and professional liability, assisting general contractors, subcontractors, professional engineers, real estate agents and brokers, appraisers, attorneys, and other individuals with claims brought against them. She also handles premises liability matters, real estate and commercial transactions, and pre-suit negotiations and investigations.
As a legal advisor, Alexis understands the taxing nature of litigation and approaches each case individually with specific goals to produce positive outcomes for clients and businesses alike. Her successes include jury defense verdicts, multiple summary judgments clearing her clients of all liability, several dismissals with prejudice during the pleadings stage, and various other favorable results without judicial intervention. Alexis has received several awards of damages on behalf of her clients based upon these favorable results including the recovery of attorney’s fees spent having to defend improperly filed or litigated claims.
Practicing since 2014, Alexis received her law degree from Samford University’s Cumberland School of Law. While there, she served as an Associate Editor for the Cumberland Law Review and published a case note on the constitutionality of the Affordable Care Act. Alexis is also a member of the inaugural class of the Judge James Edwin Horton Inn of Court for the Cumberland School of Law as well as a former Judge Abraham Caruthers Fellow for the Lawyering and Legal Reasoning program at Cumberland. In addition to her work at the school, Alexis is a former judicial law clerk for the Circuit Court of Baldwin County, Alabama, and a former judicial extern for a Magistrate Judge in the Southern District of Alabama.
In her spare time, Alexis enjoys watching football, reading, and spending time with her family on the beaches and waters of the beautiful Gulf Coast.
- J.D., Cumberland School of Law, 2014
- B.S.B.A., Franklin University, cum laude, 2006
Professional Work Experience
- Emmanuel Sheppard & Condon
- Director, 2022 – Present
- Galloway Johnson
- Director, 2014 – 2022
- U.S. Southern District of Alabama
- Extern, 2014
- 28th Judicial Circuit, Baldwin County, AL
- Law Clerk, 2012
- The Florida Bar
- Real Property, Probate, and Trust Section
- Board Certified Construction Lawyer
- Alabama State Bar
- All Florida state and federal courts
- All Alabama state and federal courts
Professional Membership Activities
- Escambia – Santa Rosa Bar Association
- Executive Committee Member, 2022
- Baldwin County, Alabama Bar
- Mobile County, Alabama Bar
Publications & Press
- Alexis Kessler, Eleventh Circuit Survey of Recent Decisions: Failure to Challenge EEOC Determinations, 43 CUMB. L. REV. 609, 625-58 (2013).
- Alexis Kessler, Casenote, Affordable Care Act’s individual mandate exercises Congress’s taxing power, not commerce power; Act’s Medicaid expansion not within Congress’s spending power, 43 CUMB. L. REV. 141 (2013).