Injured? Get help here!
Call Us 24/7 call
(850) 433-6581

How to Get Your Okaloosa County Accident Report

okaloosa county accident reports

If you were recently injured in a car accident in Okaloosa County, you will need to get a copy of the crash report as soon as possible. However, you might not know how to get a copy. Fortunately, Okaloosa County accident reports are easy to get when you know where to look.

The car accident lawyers with Emmanuel Sheppard & Condon have the resources to get all the information you need to prepare for your case. We opened our firm in 1913 based on a client-centered approach. Today, we continue that approach.

Where Can I Get a Copy of Okaloosa County Accident Reports From My Crash?

The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FHSMV) maintains all of the Okaloosa County car accident reports.

Even if the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office responded to and investigated your crash, they don’t keep copies to give out to the public. Instead, they refer you to the FHSMV’s website for further instructions about getting a copy of your report.

You should understand that the FHSMV allows only people who were involved in the crash or their representatives to obtain a copy of the report within the first 60 days after the crash. The report becomes a public record after 60 days. Then, anyone can get a copy.

How Can I Get a Copy of My Okaloosa County Car Accident Report From the FHSMV?

The FHSMV has three ways that you could request your accident report. You can request a report in person, in writing, or through the FHSMV’s crash report portal. For most people, using the FHSMV’s crash report portal is the most convenient method.

The FHSMV charges $10 per report, along with a $2 convenience fee for using the portal. After completing the transaction, a link to the report will arrive in your email. You have 48 hours to download the report once you click on the link.

The Florida Highway Patrol troop station that is closest to the accident scene will have a copy of your report if you want to request a report in person. You can use the Florida Highway Patrol website to locate the nearest troop station.

Mailing a request is the slowest method to obtain your Okaloosa County accident report. The FHSMV’s website cautions users that it will take 4-6 weeks to get a copy of a report through the mail. The mailing address is:

Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

Crash Records

2900 Apalachee Parkway, MS 28

Tallahassee, FL 32399.

If you appear in person or purchase a report by mail, you must include a check or money order made payable to FHSMV with your request. Additionally, the FHSMV requires you to complete a sworn statement to get your report if you make your request within the 60-day period after your crash.

Let Emmanuel Sheppard & Condon Help Get Your Crash Report

The easiest way to get your Okaloosa County accident report is to allow the auto accident injury lawyers with Emmanuel Sheppard & Condon to obtain a copy. However, that’s not all we will do for you.

Since 1913, our firm has fought aggressively to protect our clients’ rights. Much has changed since then, but our commitment to treating our clients with the ultimate dignity and respect has not.

Contact our office at (850) 444-4878 to find out more about how our AV-rated attorneys can help.