Injured? Get help here!
Call Us 24/7 call
(850) 433-6581

What happens when you are injured by a government employee?

When a person is involved in  some type of accident with a private citizen, that person has the right to seek compensation for financial losses in the civil court system. In most cases, a person has two years from the date of the injury to file the lawsuit. The same can be said when a person is hurt by an employee of the state, city, county or federal government. There is a single difference in these cases.

When a person wants to sue the government or one of its employees, they can only do so after they have filed an ante-litem notice. The notice may be different depending on who is being sued and where, but it serves as notice that a lawsuit is imminent. The government agency then has the right to accept or deny the notice. This is typically seen at the federal level.

Filing a lawsuit without an ante-litem notice is not possible. The lawsuit will not be allowed to proceed into court. If the government denies the ante-litem notice, the victim does have recourse.

If you have been injured by an employee of the government in Pensacola, it is important to understand that you have rights. Speak to an experienced personal injury attorney today to discover more about what those rights are. You and your family should not have to suffer financially due to someone else’s error or negligence.